top of page
![](https://static.wixstatic.com/media/95dbf7_1adb2a796b584a9e8ba72ceda2a40797~mv2.jpg/v1/fill/w_1920,h_1080,al_c,q_90,enc_avif,quality_auto/95dbf7_1adb2a796b584a9e8ba72ceda2a40797~mv2.jpg)
1788 - 1870 HISTORY
Before 1871, Hyannis Port was a villager scattered houses, open fields and pasture, and very few trees. Hall's Creek was called School Lot river and run out to sea near the current West Reach Club. The Marchant brothers ran a salt works where 17-18 holes are 0n the golf course. The earliest houses date formatter the Revolution in the late 1700s.
​
A long wharf. extended from Sea Street, with a cluster of stores. In 1826 the first part of the breakwater was but to provide protection for ships and schooners laying over before attempting the treacherous trip around the outer Cape.IN1856 the Rail road was extend from Hyannis to the long wharf, transporting coal, grain, oysters and even cranberries.
​
The first Post Office ( 1829-1840) was located at the "Grog shop" on Marchant Ave.
There was no pier: the first pier was built in 1895.
![property transfer for "1788"](https://static.wixstatic.com/media/5e1907_efa7878333a44a979f6e766c28223ce9~mv2_d_1936_2592_s_2.jpeg/v1/fill/w_980,h_1312,al_c,q_85,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01,enc_avif,quality_auto/5e1907_efa7878333a44a979f6e766c28223ce9~mv2_d_1936_2592_s_2.jpeg)
property transfer for "1788"
This is the first photo for testing. 1777
![deeds for "1788"](https://static.wixstatic.com/media/5e1907_63521b06f20b4700a7799250ff26bdb7~mv2_d_1936_2592_s_2.jpeg/v1/fill/w_980,h_1312,al_c,q_85,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01,enc_avif,quality_auto/5e1907_63521b06f20b4700a7799250ff26bdb7~mv2_d_1936_2592_s_2.jpeg)
deeds for "1788"
![deeds for "1788"](https://static.wixstatic.com/media/5e1907_c2f32731aaf94fb6949dbaa5c53bb114~mv2_d_1466_2084_s_2.jpeg/v1/fill/w_980,h_1393,al_c,q_85,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01,enc_avif,quality_auto/5e1907_c2f32731aaf94fb6949dbaa5c53bb114~mv2_d_1466_2084_s_2.jpeg)
deeds for "1788"
![deeds for "1788"](https://static.wixstatic.com/media/5e1907_026b8fcef158499aaf5751b1ae40d0a1~mv2_d_1618_2592_s_2.jpeg/v1/fill/w_980,h_1570,al_c,q_85,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01,enc_avif,quality_auto/5e1907_026b8fcef158499aaf5751b1ae40d0a1~mv2_d_1618_2592_s_2.jpeg)
deeds for "1788"
![1850 map of Hyannis Port](https://static.wixstatic.com/media/5e1907_570cd1f8793747a2a4a038a9bd159795~mv2_d_1924_1912_s_2.jpeg/v1/fill/w_980,h_974,al_c,q_85,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01,enc_avif,quality_auto/5e1907_570cd1f8793747a2a4a038a9bd159795~mv2_d_1924_1912_s_2.jpeg)
1850 map of Hyannis Port
!["the Homestead" built by David Scudd](https://static.wixstatic.com/media/5e1907_cb6f7dda9f0047fc888851a170d8f40e~mv2_d_2676_1539_s_2.jpeg/v1/fill/w_980,h_564,al_c,q_85,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01,enc_avif,quality_auto/5e1907_cb6f7dda9f0047fc888851a170d8f40e~mv2_d_2676_1539_s_2.jpeg)
"the Homestead" built by David Scudd
![LF Loutel's maps of early HP](https://static.wixstatic.com/media/5e1907_8d49e680cb0c4182a4d112e6ccd298ec~mv2_d_1936_2592_s_2.jpeg/v1/fill/w_980,h_1312,al_c,q_85,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01,enc_avif,quality_auto/5e1907_8d49e680cb0c4182a4d112e6ccd298ec~mv2_d_1936_2592_s_2.jpeg)
LF Loutel's maps of early HP
![Lf Loutrel map of early Hyannis Port](https://static.wixstatic.com/media/5e1907_8b1aaf1d7ad84d019418e3f0ea49180c~mv2_d_1936_2592_s_2.jpeg/v1/fill/w_980,h_1312,al_c,q_85,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01,enc_avif,quality_auto/5e1907_8b1aaf1d7ad84d019418e3f0ea49180c~mv2_d_1936_2592_s_2.jpeg)
Lf Loutrel map of early Hyannis Port
![Scudder house](https://static.wixstatic.com/media/5e1907_1ef99b1567014ad39f34fd50b587926a~mv2_d_1906_1462_s_2.jpeg/v1/fill/w_980,h_752,al_c,q_85,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01,enc_avif,quality_auto/5e1907_1ef99b1567014ad39f34fd50b587926a~mv2_d_1906_1462_s_2.jpeg)
Scudder house
![the grog shop and first post office](https://static.wixstatic.com/media/5e1907_cb090197431f44859107577b60293d79~mv2.jpg/v1/fill/w_640,h_425,al_c,q_80,enc_avif,quality_auto/5e1907_cb090197431f44859107577b60293d79~mv2.jpg)
the grog shop and first post office
Marchant ave.
![Captain Sears House on Irving Ave.](https://static.wixstatic.com/media/5e1907_a3c8b3e0f7454edbbef04c32de7f15b6~mv2_d_2048_1536_s_2.jpeg/v1/fill/w_980,h_735,al_c,q_85,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01,enc_avif,quality_auto/5e1907_a3c8b3e0f7454edbbef04c32de7f15b6~mv2_d_2048_1536_s_2.jpeg)
Captain Sears House on Irving Ave.
![Cap't. Hinkley house Irving Ave](https://static.wixstatic.com/media/5e1907_77ff4f8392a34f7c8bdac928637224a0~mv2_d_2048_1536_s_2.jpeg/v1/fill/w_980,h_735,al_c,q_85,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01,enc_avif,quality_auto/5e1907_77ff4f8392a34f7c8bdac928637224a0~mv2_d_2048_1536_s_2.jpeg)
Cap't. Hinkley house Irving Ave
![1788 or gage house](https://static.wixstatic.com/media/5e1907_b399be03a3214bbbb25b81c92f3e8839~mv2_d_3264_2448_s_4_2.jpg/v1/fill/w_980,h_735,al_c,q_85,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01,enc_avif,quality_auto/5e1907_b399be03a3214bbbb25b81c92f3e8839~mv2_d_3264_2448_s_4_2.jpg)
1788 or gage house
![Julia's house.](https://static.wixstatic.com/media/5e1907_4a77a5ab073b4857bebff0f0b5b19a6d~mv2_d_2045_1350_s_2.jpeg/v1/fill/w_980,h_647,al_c,q_85,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01,enc_avif,quality_auto/5e1907_4a77a5ab073b4857bebff0f0b5b19a6d~mv2_d_2045_1350_s_2.jpeg)
Julia's house.
![Julia's house.](https://static.wixstatic.com/media/5e1907_6f2077ac1a8e480e8826e02e3642a772~mv2_d_3264_2448_s_4_2.jpg/v1/fill/w_980,h_735,al_c,q_85,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01,enc_avif,quality_auto/5e1907_6f2077ac1a8e480e8826e02e3642a772~mv2_d_3264_2448_s_4_2.jpg)
Julia's house.
bottom of page